Things to do in Bangor, Maine
Experience Bangor, Maine, the economic and retail hub of Eastern and Central Maine, when you stay at Four Points by Sheraton Bangor Airport. Take a trip along the coastline or explore the North Woods. We’ve also got an array of boutique shops, family-friendly activities, and the only casino in Maine. Find a list of popular things to do in Bangor, Maine below.
- Acadia National Park
- Bangor City Forest
- Bangor International Airport
- Bangor Mall
- Bangor State Fair
- Bangor Waterfront Pavilion
- Cross Insurance Center
- Darling’s Waterfront Pavilion
- Eastern Maine Medical Center
- Hollywood Casino
- Maine Discovery Museum
- Maine Lobster Festival
- Mount Battie
- Mount Hope Garden Cemetery
- Orono Bogwalk
- Penobscot Theatre
- Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse
- St Josephs Hospital
- Thomas Hill Standpipe
- University College of Bangor
How To Get Here
- Thomas Hill Standpipe, 2.7
Situated in Bangor and standing at 110 feet tall and 85 feet around, the Standpipe has been in continuous use to control Bangor’s water pressure and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is also a designated American Water Landmark.
- Cross Insurance Center, 3.0 miles
With 22,000 square feet of usable space, Cross Insurance Center is home to many trade shows, conferences, banquets, and more.
- Bangor Waterfront, 3.0 miles
Bordering the Penobscot River, Waterfront Park features picnic areas, walking paths, and marinas. During the summer, enjoy concerts at the Waterfront Pavilion open-air amphitheater.
- Maine Discovery Museum, 3.0 miles
Enjoy a day of playing, learning, and discovery at Maine Discovery Museum. Admission includes access to the Museum all day, so come and go as you please.
- Stephen King Home, 3.0 miles
A spider web front gate topped by bats will greet you at the home of best-selling horror author, Stephen King.
- The Penobscot Theatre, 3.0 miles
Catch a play at America’s Northeastern-most professional theater company. The theater also offers post-show discussions, summer theater workshops, and student matinees.
- Hollywood Casino, 3.0 miles
Try your luck playing Vegas-style blackjack, roulette, poker, and more at Hollywood Casino.
- Paul Bunyan Statue, 3.0 miles
Once known to be the logging capital of the world, Bangor is a fitting place to honor Paul Bunyan. You’ll find the 31 foot and 3,700-pound statue next to Main Street.
- Darling’s Waterfront Pavilion, 3.7 miles
Enjoy waterfront concerts year-round at this pavilion.
- Bangor State Fair, 4.7 miles
This state fair comes yearly in late summer. Enjoy rides, games, and food at this annual event.
- Bangor City Forest, 6.7 miles
680 acres of forest and wildlife habitat Visit this working forest with nine miles of trails for biking, walking, snow-shoeing, and XC-skiing.
- Mount Hope Garden Cemetery, 7.0 miles
Take a stroll around the second oldest garden cemetery in the country. Established in 1834, Mount Hope Garden Cemetery spans roughly 300 acres of land.
- Orono Bog Boardwalk, 7.3 miles
Visiting the one-mile long boardwalk through a natural habitat with vegetation, foliage, fruits, wildlife, and changing environments.
- The Collins Center for the Arts, 10.0 miles
Formerly the Maine Center for the Arts, the Collins Center for the Arts features a performing arts center and concert hall across from the University of Maine in Orono.
- Bangor Waterfront Specialty Shops, 3.0 miles
Pick up some wine and cheese or other local items at the Bangor Waterfront Specialty Shops.
- Bangor Mall, 5.0 miles
Browse over 80 stores at Bangor Mall including Macy’s, Sears, Cadillac Mountain Sports, and Dick’s Sporting Goods.
- L.L. Bean Outlet Store, 5.0 miles
Shop the L.L. Bean Outlet to save on outdoor gear, footwear, apparel, and more.
Universities & Hospitals
- University College of Bangor, 1.4 miles
- Eastern Maine Medical Center, 4.0 miles
- St. Josephs Hospital, 4.0 miles
- Husson University, 5.0 miles
- Eastern Maine Community College, 5.5 miles
- University of Maine, Orono Campus, 9.0 miles
- University of Maine, 15.0 miles
Day Trip Destinations
- Acadia National Park, 45.0 miles
Find generous hiking and bike trails, welcoming campgrounds, and the tallest mountain along the eastern coast, Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park.
- Bar Harbor, 45.0 miles
Discover adventure and romance along the rock-bound coast of Bar Harbor. From here explore Acadia National Park or plan an island escape.
- Mount Battie, 57.0 miles
Climb or drive to its peak in Camden, Maine and see the entire mid-coast shoreline
- Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse, 66.1 miles
Take a walkout almost one mile on the rocky breakwater to reach this lighthouse positioned in the middle of Penobscot Bay.
- Maine Lobster Festival, 66.7 miles
Only an hour drive from Bangor brings you to heaven for lobster lovers. Each year the Maine Lobster Festival serves over 50,000 pounds of lobster.
- Sugarloaf Ski Area, 70.0 miles
Sugarloaf Mountain Resort is one of the top year-round destinations in New England and is the largest ski area east of the Rockies. In winter enjoy skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, tubing, and more. Golf, hike, bike ride, and more in the summer months.
- Greenville, ME, 70.0 miles
Escape to the historical gateway to the north country. You’ll find abundant outdoor recreation in Greenville.
- Moosehead Lake Region, 70.0 miles
Located at the doorstep of Maine’s great north woods, Moosehead Lake is surrounded by vast forested wilderness.
- Baxter State Park, 116.0 miles
Spanning over 200,000 acres, Baxter State Park is home to the state’s highest peak, Katahdin.